Friday, August 12, 2016

Where Do I Even Begin...?

Hi guys!!!!  Wow, did I get ever so sidetracked or what..?  I set out to play with a few different mediums using the stamp set Spring Flowers by Simon Says Stamp (see my last "Sneak Peek" post), and I ended up...  well, everywhere BUT playing with Spring Flowers... I did, however,  watch a few days of the Watercolor For Card Makers class by Online Card Classes!!  I absolutely LOVE OCC.  Every class I've taken so far has been packed FULL of great information.   And they make it look so easy!!  I was so pumped and confident after watching day  7.  I thought for sure I could do what they were teaching! Well..., I  attempted to CASE one of Dawn Woleslagle's floral cards.  That was my first mistake.  If you've never watercolored flowers before, it probably isn't the wisest choice to go straight for the best of the best... I should've started out maybe practicing with day 1.  Lesson learned.  But I was in the moment and like I said, I was feeling confident so I went for it!!  That will be my next post..  It wasn't as big of a disaster as I was envisioning but I'm certainly not entering it into any watercoloring challenges any time soon.  Check out my next post to see how this ended.   But anyway, I didn't quite make my way back to my original plan just yet.  I then  proceeded to make a couple other cards that had nothing to do with that Spring Flowers set and THEN I came back and finished what I started, which ended in this card here.  I'm a lot like the dog, Dug from the movie UP.  If you don't know who Dug is, click here to see a short clip. I'm on a mission to complete a task and then all of a sudden, SQUIRREL!!!  
So let's start with the Spring Flowers set since that was my intention.  I wanted to play around with some different watercoloring techniques.  I started out with my Zig watercolor brushes.  I quickly learned that they are NOT my favorite.  And that's not to say they won't end up being my favorite, but for now, let's just say I didn't spend too much time with them.  I am an equal opportunist however, and I do intend to spend a little more time with them because I think if I actually learned how to use them, I might just change my mind about how I feel towards them..
Then I moved on to my Kuretake Gansai Tambi watercolors.  I knew I liked these, I just love how vibrant the colors can be.  Or they can be muted down by adding more water. At this point I didn't know if I wanted to stay in the lines or just cover the image with color.  So I did a little of both.  I still had no idea what I was going to do with all these images..  Truth be told, I still don't.  But that's ok! 
Next, I busted out my Mission watercolor palette and dabbled in a few different color combos.  I really haven't watercolored that much in my whole year and 5 months of card making experience.  I was more experimenting with combining colors and seeing what would happen if I added this color to that or more water or less.  This thought process is what lead me to take a peak at the Online Card Classes Watercolor class.  I purchased the class quite a while ago, but haven't really had time to play around with it just yet.  Before I got totally sidetracked, I played with a couple more watercolor techniques.  Next on my list was Distress Inks!!
I'd say this is my favorite technique so far!!  It just doesn't get any easier than this.   I really liked Peeled paint and Mowed Lawn for the leaves.  And Victorian Velvet made for such a beautiful mauve colored rose.  
Lastly, before moving on to my Copics, I used my distress inks one last time to do some ink blending.  I think I am in love with ink blending.  You can have two totally different colors come together and blend so flawlessly, it's almost magical.  And it's not just distress inks that you can do this with.  I used many Simon Says Stamp ink pads as well.  I cut these in rows so that I didn't cross contaminate the colors and also so that I got that really bright concentrated color at the base of the flower.  
Once I was done with the coloring, I fussy cut all the images out.  I tried cutting them out using my Scan N Cut, but it just wasn't working out for me so I fussy cut them instead.  These were pretty basic shapes so fussy cutting wasn't a problem for me. It's definitely not my first choice, but at this point, it was my only choice..  And just when you thought you've had enough...
I bring in the Copics!!!
There's just something about copic coloring that totally melts me heart.  I love the control I have, I love the flicking in color, I love all the different possibilities, and bringing a black and white image to life.  I love everything about them!!!  
I could color for days without coming up for air.  And I probably would if it weren't for this little thing called a FAMILY that I have to tend to.  I can't believe school is starting on Monday already!!  Where did this summer go?!!?
And then when all the coloring was complete, the real fun began.  Picking and choosing which colors to put together and which flowers go with what...  Can watercolored flowers be mixed with copic colored flowers??
Check out all this color!!  I LOVE it!!  And then a card started to take shape.



I had an idea of what I wanted to do, but it took me awhile to figure out how to keep that cute little curly cue in the long, straight leaves.  I didn't want a one layered card and I knew I wouldn't be able to cut around that tiny little thing, so I did the only thing I could think to do.  I stamped the leaves on the card front and then layered another colored image over the top!!  Voila!!  Problem solved.   
To finish this off, I added some foam adhesive behind some of the images and the sentiment.  I attached a few sequins here and there and some mini rhinestones on the 3 smallest flowers to add some sparkle.  I used the Spectrum Noir Crystal Clear glitter pen on all of the flowers which gave it even more sparkle.  The sentiment came from the Choose Happy set from Simon Says Stamp.  I really like how simple this card looks.  If I were to do it over again, I'd probably add some color behind the flowers.  Either a light watercolor wash, or maybe some ink blending.  The Clarity brushes would have been perfect!!  Ok, I know what I'm doing for my next card now.  I have a craft fair coming up on Labor Day weekend so I'll be making as many cards as I can between now and then.  
 I know this was kind of a loooong post, and I'm working on that.  I still don't know what my blogging style is but I'm going to try and keep it more short and sweet in my posts that follow.  It took me awhile to get this post up but I do still have a family to attend to so all I can do is post when I have the time.  School is starting on Monday so I'm not sure if that's going to give me more time or if it's going to make me even busier since I like to help out in class each week and we also have football practice every night...  Well, you know the song and dance if you've had kids so I won't bore you with the details.  My point is,  this took me so long to get posted.  I gotta get better at this and when I say better, I mean faster, if I ever want to have time to post.  I'm hoping to get some type of schedule here one of these days.  Until then, I will post whenever I can.  Like I said, I have a craft fair coming up so most of my free time will be dedicated to making cards so if I don't get many posts up, that is most likely why.  At least I'll have a lot of material to post about!!  Even if it isn't until after the holiday weekend.  Thank you so much for your patience and thanks for taking the time to read my lengthy post.  I know time is so valuable in everyone's lives whether you have kids or not, whether you work or not, no matter what we all do everyday that shapes our lives, time is one of the most important aspects of anyone's life.  We gotta use it wisely...  













13 comments:

  1. Misty, I feel like I just spent a bit of a crafty afternoon with you, and loved it. I hope you have bursts of energy to create lots of cards for your craft fair. This particular card is so pretty. The time you took to color and choose your layout really shows through. Fabulous post, and I loved all the pictures. I love my zigs, but it did take a bit of time to get there. There is a learning curve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I know, it turned out sooo long!! I'm sorry. Sometimes I get going and I just can't stop.. hehe I wish it were a REAL crafty afternoon, that would be a blast! That's kinda what I was thinking about the zigs. That's why I'm not ready to give up on them just yet. Glad to hear you say it takes some time to get the hang of them. Then I won't feel discouraged if I don't get them right away. Well thank you so much for your sweet message. These comments really make me day. Take care Cat ~

      Delete
  2. Wow love all the different flowers you made and your finished card is amazing!!! I have that set and i love it when others use it but I'm never happy with my efforts so thanks to you will be dusting that off soon! Thank you for the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenni!! Well thank you!! That's kinda how I was feeling. I wasn't really sure what to do with this set which is why I kinda set out to try so many different mediums. I was hoping at least one of them would pan out.. I hope you do pull this one out. I'd love to see what you do with it. I'm not very good at florals for some reason. I want to be, but anything to do with flowers is really intimidating to me for some reason... Anyway, thanks for checking out my post and leaving me some love. I really appreciate it ~

      Delete
  3. Amazing card ... and lOOk at those Copics!!! well done, you!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele!! It's been a work in progress since I started card making and every extra dollar I've earned but I FINALLY have the complete set!! They're my babies, for sure.

      Delete
  4. I agree with Michele!! I need to add to my Copic stash, you would giggle at how little it is!! Love seeing the process you went through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa!! Nonsense, you don't need more copic markers. Your cards are absolutely stunning the way they are!!! But I totally get it. :) Well thank you. I was really nervous about this post because it turned out sooo long. So I thank you for hanging in there. lol

      Delete
  5. Only 1 year 5 months of card making and you already have Zigs, and Ganzai Tambi watercolors and all those Copics? Impressive, as is your card, Misty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if someone was going to say something. I have a REALLY bad habit of basically getting almost addicted to something and completely going overboard buying everything I can afford. It turns out to be a BIG waste of money most of the time, but I can tell, this one is going to stick. I don't see myself getting tired of this hobby any time soon. I have a shopping problem. I'll admit it. All of my extra side money ends up going here. I'm really working on it though. It's not something I'm proud of. And after I make a big purchase, I feel the crash of regret. There's many other things I should be doing with this extra money. I've actually been REALLY good lately. UPS has NOT been at my door everyday, like they used to be. I even had our UPS driver ask me if I was ok because he hadn't seen me in a few days... :(

      Delete
    2. But the watercolors were a birthday gift. 😊

      Delete
  6. I thoroughly enjoyed this post. I can see that you are going to be fabulous at whatever medium you chose to use for coloring, watercoloring! I loved all your pictures as you went though the process. Loved each medium you tried!! Your card in the end turned out fabulous!! And what is even more fabulous is that you have all those fussy cut beautiful flowers and leaves to make more cards! Yes, family tends to take time away from card making, but they are family and will and should come first. I know how busy I was when my 6 boys were little and in school. I volunteered at all our schools, starting with elementary and middle school in the day time and then high school at night. It's awesome to be involved with the schools and good for your kids to see as well. Football, oh yes, I remember football practice and games, a big chunk of life, but again, family comes first and it is fun to watch! No I can't believe school is in session!! lol I just moved my youngest son back to college for his 3rd year yesterday. Hard to see him go but won't miss his messes here at the house. But will miss him! My grandkids will be heading back to school next in about a week. Hard to believe summer is all but over and the days are getting shorter. I hate short days and long nights, but ready or not, they are coming! Have a fabulous week Misty!! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, Brenda!! I'm so sorry I didn't reply sooner!! My word, I gotta get better at checking all these different places. I didn't realize my notifications were going to my gmail account which I never use. It's the same email address that my YouTube notifications go to... Yeah.. Missed a few of those too. I'm so sorry!! I will get better, I promise!! I might try to switch notifications to my email address that I use more regularly.. Anywho, thank you, thank you, thank you Brenda for your ever so sweet message. I'm so glad you enjoyed my post. That is REALLY great to hear. I'm self conscious about this whole blog for some reason. I feel vulnerable and I don't like that. I'm still trying to figure out my blogging style so your comment means a lot to me. And YES!! I LOVE that I have so many images already cut out and ready to go!! I've been wanting to get back to them and make another card with them, but my goodness. I tell ya, I don't know how the hours pass by so quickly each day. Seems like I blink and the entire day is already over!! Eventually I'll get back to them. I'm dying to make some Halloween cards too for a craft fair I have coming up in 2 weeks. Wait a sec... Back up here. Did you just say that you have SIX BOYS?!!? Wow!! And you survived?!!? Just kidding. I have a heck of a time with one boy sometimes!! Wow, that's impressive!! I couldn't agree with you more. I absolutely LOVE being able to help in my son's class each week. There was one year that I couldn't thanks to all my surgeries, and I felt a hole in my life. I didn't like not being there and not knowing all the kids' name and not knowing what was going on all the time. And I know they're not going to let me help many more years, the older he gets so I'm helping as much as they'll let me now. Speaking of football, we have our first ever jamboree this Saturday out of town so wish us luck!! Haha, I totally hear ya about missing your son, but not his messes. I feel that way just when my guy stays at my parents for a weekend!! Lol is your son going to school far from home?? I'm with you on not being a fan of shorter days. I need all the time I can get in a day!!! Anyway, I better get my butt to bed. It's already 12:50 and I get up at 5. Thanks again for your lovely message and I'm so sorry I didn't respond sooner. I will definitely fix that. Take care my friend and I'll talk to ya soon. Goodnight hugs!! ����

      Delete