Saturday, July 30, 2016

Feeling So Grateful

Hello again!!!  I'm so excited to share this new journey into the blog world with you!  I've been contemplating starting a blog for some time now and I FINALLY decided to take the plunge, thanks to a lovely, sweet fellow crafter that so kindly walked me through my very first post.  I'm so blessed to have met Michele (via telephone) and I encourage you to click here to take a look at her blog.  She is so incredibly talented!!  Her CAS cards are absolutely stunning.  Wait, what am I saying?  Most of you, if not all of you viewing this post right now, are here because of my wonderful new friend, Michele.  You have all been so encouraging and welcoming.  Your words make my heart smile.  Thank you for you support.  And thank YOU Michele for sending these lovely ladies my way!!  I can't even tell you how grateful I'm feeling at this moment.  I've never really done anything like this before so please, bare with me as I stumble my way through.  I'm really looking forward to meeting fellow card makers/crafters, it's one of the main reasons I wanted to start a blog and I'm off to an amazing start!   I've been making cards since March of 2015 (I know, I'm a total newb) and I'm loving every minute of it.  I love everything about it.  I've learned to watercolor, and ink blend, I get to color and emboss and stamp and ink smoosh and there's so many cool techniques that I've learned and so many still to learn.  I do still have a family to attend to, but every free second I have, I'm in my craft room.  So my plan is to post pictures of my latest cards and then describe how I made them.  I also post video tutorials on my YouTube channel whenever I can so I hope you'll check that out as well.  I do hope you'll follow along on this journey with me!!  Ok, enough babbling..  Let's get to it!!  This is the most recent card I've made.  



I used Floral & Flutter by Concord & 9th for the butterfly and Hand Lettered Hello by WPlus9 for the Hello.  


For this first card I thought it would be fun to make my own striped patterned paper so I used my Misti and the stamp called Wide Stripes by Simon Says Stamp.


For some reason, I had to stamp this 4 or 5 times in order to get good coverage, but I still really liked it.  


I used Mermaid Lagoon and Wilted Violet distress inks to color the images and I LOVED this color combination!!  


Check out that color up close!!  Isn't it gorgeous?!!?


I thought about leaving parts of the die in tact just because I loved the color so much and wanted to see more of it, but in the end, I popped out all the pieces and just went with the intended shape.  I really like this die.  They're both beautiful shapes.  


I felt like it needed something else so I added some thick 40 lb. vellum from Ellen Hutson.  My all time favorite vellum, FYI... and left a little border around it.  


I just recently purchased one of those mechanical embossers, I think they're called, and really wanted to use it, but I just wasn't feeling it for this particular card and this is when I decided to go with the Hand Lettered Hello die instead.  


Then I just added some silver thread behind the butterfly and those cool little clear water drop looking thingies (I think that's their official name) and a strip of silver glitter paper to tie in with the silver "Hello" greeting and called it a day!!!  Well, no, I didn't actually ...  I decided to make another card while I had everything there at my fingertips.  I hadn't used the 2 flowers that I cut out and colored so I started off with those and came up with this!!



 The black and white striped background isn't quite the same as the first card because I didn't use a stamp and it isn't a patterned paper...  For this card I used the Classic Stripe Cover die by Mama Elephant.  I absolutely LOVE this die!!  I can have a striped background whenever I want and in what ever color I want!!  I would say this die is on my Must Have list.   I used a different Hello die, this one is called Painted Hello by Simon Says Stamp. 



I wanted to use the same elements for this card so I traced around the butterfly onto the vellum and after cutting it out, I rubbed Versa Mark all along the edge and then dipped it in silver embossing powder.  I had never done this before, and I wasn't quite sure about it when I first did it, but after I wiped some of the excess off and heat set it, I was actually pretty happy with it!!



I wasn't quite sure how to attach the butterfly without adhesive being visible so as I was looking through my bin of embellishments, I came across a bunch of these little clothes pins and I instantly knew that was it!!  You wouldn't see any adhesive because I wasn't going to put any adhesive on it!!  


Again, I added some silver thread behind the butterfly and attached these beautiful silver rhinestones and more of the clear, water drop looking thingies and I had myself a card!!!  Thank you for taking a look at my cards today!!  I'm hoping to have a step by step tutorial for these on my YouTube channel by the end of the weekend (but more realistically by mid-week) so I hope you'll pop on over there and check that out as well.  Once I have it uploaded, you will be able to click Here and it will take you right to it.  
And.... that's a wrap!!  Off to enjoy dinner with my in-laws tonight.  They're in town for the weekend to beat the heat.  It was 116 degrees in Lake County yesterday, can you believe that?!?  It's been really nice here for the past few days, but our max temp is more like 75 degrees.  One of the many reasons I love my hometown.  
Ok, I'm REALLY going this time!!  Have a great rest of your weekend and I hope to see y'all soon!!!  God Bless ~





15 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards Misty would not believe you are a 'newbie'...I just recently threw out my first ever card ...through embarrassment kept to see if my style changes and thanks to all those friends in blogland it sure has...thankfully!!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenni!! Haha, Oh man!! What a cool idea to keep your first... I wish I would have done that. It's amazing how far we've come from our first attempt, isn't it?? I remember what my first looked like, and that's bad enough... hehe

      Delete
  2. Beautiful cards Misty would not believe you are a 'newbie'...I just recently threw out my first ever card ...through embarrassment kept to see if my style changes and thanks to all those friends in blogland it sure has...thankfully!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Misty!!!!
    First - you asked in your reply to my comment yesterday whether I get an e-mail notification everytime you do an edit on your post - no I did not - I only got the e-mail notification this morning for this new post, so I think it works fine and you can edit a post as much as you like; I don't think it will give a notification ever time!!!!! So now on to your fabulous cards!!!!! Yep, they are both fabulous, my friend!!! The bold B&W stripes make such a great backdrop for your lovely delicate butterfly in the beautiful colours!!!! And oh, I loooooove the sentiment in silver and the silver strip on the side!!!!! And some delicate flowers on the second one and another stunning butterfly ...WOW, just great, Misty!!!!! Well done on both of these - they're both simply beautiful!!!!
    Have a great day!!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Petra!! Ohhh GOOD!! That makes me happy to hear.. I was worried about that..thanks for getting back to me on that. Wow, thank you for your sweet words!! I'm so glad you like them!! They were really fun to make. I'm not used to people saying such kind things about my work... I just don't know how to handle it, I don't know what to say... Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Ooh these cards are fabulous, bold and chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen!! Thank you!!! These are my new favorites. Every time I make a card, it turns into my new favorite though... hehe

      Delete
  5. That bold striped background is fabulous for your delicately inked, and embossed pieces. Fantastic cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cat!! Thank you!!! I simply LOVE a black & white background. The possibilities are endless!! Thanks for checking out my cards!!

      Delete
  6. So much prettiness Misty!! I like your fancy butterflies and the sparkle!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa!! Thank you!! I LOVE this die set!! I really like most of Concord & 9th's stuff. :)

      Delete
  7. Misty you are too kind ... and a very quick learner! LOOk at this sweet card! You will soon learn that I am in total love with vellum ... a slip of vellum will make my heart flutter every time! LOvely card ... I DO have the bestest blogging buddies! xx
    =]
    [as I feared, we still have work to do: I am not receiving your comments by email ... hmmm.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele!! Aww, well thank you. I had a good teacher ;) that is so strange that you're not getting my comments! So you see it on your blog, but you are not receiving an email notification, is that what is happening?

      Delete
  8. Michele is a beautiful person isn't she Misty?!! I love her so much and love her cards. She is so talented!!! I can't believe you just started making cards in March of 2015! You sure don't look new to card making, your cards look as though you have been making them for years! I'm in awe of you as I'm not a great card maker (or great a much, lol) and have been doing it for a long, long, long time. You walk in and have it down perfectly! I love your style of card making and I'm glad Michele told us about you! I love, love, love this card you have made, it is bold and oh so beautiful! Thanks for blogging for us to see and be inspired by your beautiful creations my new friend. And if you have any questions, we are all here for you. Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hi Brenda!! She absolutely is!! I wouldn't be chatting with you right now if it weren't for her. :) Well thank you so much! What a wonderful compliment that is!! And I beg to differ Ms. Brenda... I just went and peeked at your cards and you absolutely are a BEAUTIFUL card maker!!! And now I'm following you so I'll get to see all of your new ones!! Cheers to new friendships!! xox

      Delete